where is the cerebral jester?

where is the cerebral jester?
visit him and his friends at the house of dandridge by clicking above

Thursday, March 19, 2009

its my turn to be the birthday boy!


just when i really get into a groove blogging...something just happens and it looks like i fall off the face of the virtual planet. my apologies. guess what sunday is? MY BIRTHDAY!!!! excitingly enough, there somehow managed to be a full weekend that just fell into my path and i'm so thankful for the variety of experiences i am about to...well....experience... tonight, thursday, i'm going to see the big art group performance at the kitchen thanks to my dear friend drew (who managed to score three tickets for me) the show is another installment of the 'dead set' series which i managed to be overwhelmed by a little over two years ago. it was the night i was about to embark on my dj debut at the eagle and my plan was to use the show as inspiration for my set. i had no idea what and how much i was about to experience. the show was mindblowingly brilliant and images and emotions from the production still pleasurably haunt me to this day. here are some preview pics of tonight's performance.

i must say this new incarnation of the big art group is light years more colourful than the dingy dirge and raw burn of the previous show but that does not mean that this show is suitable for even a high school class. just look at the faces of the animals and you'll have a clue as to what i'm getting into.

check out their blog with news, photos and videos
here i also have some really exciting gigs to announce and i shall also be attending a cabaret performance by a dear friend and supremely talented vocalist by the name of coby koehl. i created a facebook event page for his show and in order to help promote ticket sales, i quickly fizzled out a rather amazing little snippet describing his vocal prowess and complicated stylings. coby was floored by my description and could not thank me enough. the link for the facebook event page is here but i will copy and paste what i wrote about him that got him all verklempt haha.

"my 33rd birthday is sunday, march 22nd and one of the stops on the Chauncey D Birthday Celebration Locomotive will be friday, march 20th @ the triad theatre on the upper west side to experience my dear friend coby koehl perform live! this man would be the singer at my wedding if it were legal hehe. his voice is a magical talisman that wields the harmony and power of the angels and the dirty soul and fiery finesse of the devils...watching him live is truly a religious experience!"


to make a reservation please call 212-362-2590 or visit
http://triadnyc.com for more info to learn more about coby please visit http://myspace.com/cobykoehl2 or http://youtube.com/cobykoehl2

the funny thing is...i don't really have anything solidified for sunday, my actual birthday, but i think i would enjoy a low key picnic in the park with my main man and some close friends. when you plan something large, i've learned too many times...the only thing you manage to pull together is a whole lot of disappointment.


out of the blue, my friend lucius contacted me. his roomate has been djing a weekly gig at east village staple, beauty bar for several years now. his dj partner will be out of town on monday and somehow i managed to snatch the empty spot and will be making my debut at beauty bar. i decided to make this my birthday celebration destination. i don't have to dj the entire night so therefore i will be able to spend time with my guests and not be stuck with a cd in one hand and a drink in the other. beauty bar is located at 231 east 14th street between 2nd and 3rd avenues. i have passed by the place a thousand times and have never actually gone in. this monday will definitely be interesting. the party is a new formula that they recently revamped so the energy will be fresh, the music sleazy and the love bountiful! here are the flyers for 'lovedolls superstar'!
the official site of my 33rd birthday celebration! here is the link for that event page as well.

my upcoming gigs are very exciting as well. good friday, april 10th i will be spinning at the eagle once again for another installment of the satyr ball series, a collaboration between nyc nightlife powerhouses mark nelson and max scott. the party is called 'the ressurrection ball' and it will feature performances by the models from the most recent photo book 'uncensored' by nyc photographer extraordinaire, joe oppedisano. i get the distinct pleasure of supplying the 'sleazy soundscape' for the debauchery that i'm sure will ensue. more info on that as the date gets closer.

crammed between the eagle and beauty bar is the third 'episode' dare i say of my brand spanking new, montly party at nowhere bar...'beetlejuice'! the party takes place on the first sunday of every month and is by all means a theme party that is growing up to be a leisurely force to be reckoned with. i've limited myself to only playing music that was released between the years of 1986 and 1995...my middle school, high school and some of my college years. it is a time that is definitely dear to me as i was surely immersed in the innocence of pop culture and absolutely loving it. interestingly enough, i moved out of my parent's house in 1995 and thus began my second birth as i quickly became the seedling and then the sprout of the wacky individual i am today. the link for the facebook event can be found.... here.

i am also excited to say that i created the next two flyers by myself and am very proud of the finished product. dating a bratty graphic designer can be a blessing and a curse (and i wouldn't have it any other way haha) but i have definitely learned a few tricks of the trade either watching him or absorbing his sometimes cruel but necessary criticism of my previous attempts at creating promotional material. check them out!




oh and last but not least....here is a little chauncey treat that i wanted to share with you. typically, it is a disgusting melange of synthetic bass and electronic bleep and bauble, but i must admit it is a bit of a departure to what i usually post. it's part bitch track with a ghetto stain laced with a devilish female semi-rap that will make your toes crinkle. the title definitely describes how i feel right about now....put on your diamante encrusted hot pants and suspenders and nothing else and werq!


maral salmassi - my shit is on


p.s. whew! that might have been the longest post i've ever written but i had to make up for lost time. i have one little request from any and all of you that read my blog. could you please leave a comment at the bottom of this post just so that i know you are out there. after all it is my birthday! i've been blogging for about four years now and i know a few of you that read my blog religiously and i am eternally thankful for that. you know who you are. one reader is enough for me to continue this self recorded journey but i just wanted to garner a clue as to why my counter goes up a little or a lot from time to time. whether you sign in as anonymous or not...please just say hello.

love beams and dirty beats,

chauncey d

1 comments:

Guy Ruben said...

WOW you're gonna have such a blast for your birthday weekend! WERK THE COTURE POSE!! HA!

Glad to still be part of your world! I snagged the treat you offered, and helped my self to the Prince remix that was in the link as well!

Cheers to you and your blog babe!

Apture

DJ Chauncey D on Facebook