where is the cerebral jester?

where is the cerebral jester?
visit him and his friends at the house of dandridge by clicking above

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Dimitri & my Mother

Last night I saw my friend Dmitri perform at Don't Tell Mama's in midtown on restaurant row. The small price to pay of walking quickly through that alien part of the city where tourists intermingle with souvenir hustlers and too bright billboards was worth the show I was about to see. Dmitri and me became friends about two years ago while I was working the door at The Urge and I immediately became a fan of his music. He is an original blend of pop and underground recalling early Depeche Mode and other new wave influences and acoustic folk mixed with synth lines galore. I've seen all four shows that he's done at Don't Tell Mama's, a lovely streak I dare not break. Usually his shows consist of a few covers and mostly his original music, but last night was the reverse. He gave us a nasty, dirty slowed down jazzy version of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean", a heartwrenching performance of I believe Marc Anthony's "No Me Conoces" (one of three all in Spanish songs which the non Latin delivered with immaculate enunciation and fervor), and three powerful originals that were some of my personal favourites as well. But, the personal highlight for me was his gorgeous recreation of Madonna's "Promise To Try" from her Like A Prayer album in which he delivered the attachment of losing his own mother years ago. The most ominously touching for me because last night was eleven years to the very day I lost my own mother back in 1995.

I can't believe it's been eleven years since my own and everyone else's childhood nightmare became reality. I was 19 at the time, living in my first apartment alone and so much has happened since then, so much has changed, my heart has aged and my soul has been tainted by my journey through life and love. Last night certainly was a emotional storm that I handled with solemn strength and Dmitri added a special little tribute to his mother and mine unknowingly. Thank You Dimitri....Thank You Mom!

0 comments:

Apture

DJ Chauncey D on Facebook